Thursday, July 21, 2005

Judge...who?

Judge Roberts...who the hell is Judge Roberts?

Well, apparently he's Bush's nomination for Sandra Day O'Conner's spot on the Supreme Court.

I've never even heard of this guy.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. On the one hand, he hasn't said anything that's been published on the front page of any newspapers in his career. However, it does make one wonder how someone could rise high enough to get a Supreme Court nod without ever having made any ripples in the water.

I'm also a little concerned about his past, especially sicne we know so little about him. I do know that he has only been a judge for two years. That seems like hardly enough experience to be a Supreme Court Justice. Furthermore, he was nominated in 2001 to the Federal Appeals Court, but was rejected outright. Then in 2003 he gets in with a voice vote. That doesn't make sense. How can he be unacceptable in 2001 and then get a free pass in 2003. What changed?

There's also the concern about his stance on particular issues, like abortion. Perosnally, I don't think he's extreme enough to try to overturn Roe v. Wade. What I'm more concerned with is his constructionist approach toward private business practices. He has basically argued that business should not be regulated by environmental standards whatsoever.

Can you even imagine what this country would look like if busineses could function without environmental regulation?

Anyway, as I think about it, he's probably okay. I knew I wasn't going to get anyone I'd like, but at least it's not someone I hate. The senate needs to grill him thoroughly just to make sure he won't try to overturn Roe v. Wade or overturn interpretive readings of the constitution already in place. I still don't know enough to make a vote yet, but I do know that bush could have done much, much worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home