Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Beacon Editorializing: 31 Jan.

I've decided to start a new thing where, every now and then when the Beacon opinion page is particularly interesting, I'm gonna write a review/opinion/response/whatver to the things appearing that day. As I've been on the recieving end of both praise and criticism for my works with the Beacon for two years now, I've decided to dish some out for once. But of course, if I criticize a fellow columnist's argument, my comments do not bear any ill-will toward the writers themselves and are merely meant to spark debate.

"Nation should seek unity" -by Sarah Pevey
This was an interesting read. It kinda pulls a 180 halfway through. I totally disagreed with the first half, but agreed with the second half for the most part.

Starting off, it seems like she's arguing that America's political divisons are threating to tear this country apart, then she likens the current political debate to the atmosphere preempting the Civil War. Now believe me, if there were a revolution coming, I'd be on the front lines, but Pevey clearly sees political divisons running much more deep than even I do.

But the real thing I didn't agree with was her apologism for the flaws and failures of our government officials. She seems to imply that we shouldn't be highlighting their failures and corruptions; that we should just "ride it out" and eveything will work out in the end. This is exactly why American democracy doesn't work! Like I, er, that really smart guy, said in his piece today, not demanding acocuntability breeds corruption.

What I did like about this piece was her call for moderation and the examination of your opponents ideas. SImply ignoring everything that the other side has to say will get us nowhere. You must understand how the other side thinks. Like I said last week, you may learn how to better oppose them by understanding them, and there's always the off-chance they'll actually be right.

Like Pevey points out, there is no "us" versus "them" out there, and it's kinda creepy that many Americans feel the opposite. One of the tenants necessary for fundamentalist Christianity, for example, is that they must feel persecuted. The martyrdom complex and the idea of "striving against evil" is necessary for it to flourish, or it would fail outright, as has been shown time and time again through history. I mean look at Bill O'Reilley or Pat Robertson.

But we're all Americans. Sometimes, it seems like its hard for some people to remember that.

Next...

"US society far from being just" -by Jon Fish
Man, I dunno who this guy is, but he's smart. Damn good looking, too. If I were a woman I'd totally have sex with him.

Editorial Cartoon: Eric Moore

Yesterday and today's ed toons have been great. Eric Moore is witty and a great artist. I, too, remember the lugubrious, drunken serenade "lkjhaflhjkagklj!" lol.

That's it for this week. Catch ya later, all.

~Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home